Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fabulous and Simple Thanksgiving Stuffing (with secret ingredients)

Image from the Graphics Fairy  


Friends, I don't often share recipes because, quite honestly, the food that I make is not often something one would want to repeat.  However, this recipe for Thanksgiving stuffing is fabulous with a few unique ingredients that make it great.  It is simple to  make- it may be the only recipe I haven't ever destroyed.  While it's not my own recipe, it's pretty exciting to have people ask for it becasue, as you can imagine, this is rare for me.

My mom acquired this recipe from a local cooking show in the 80s or 90s and it is a Thanksgiving staple in our family.  There is no other dressing in our minds.  So I thought I would share in case you feel like giving it a try for the holiday- you won't be sorry.  It is easy to make and fairly fool-proof.

Fabulous and Simple Thanksgiving Dressing
Serves 6-9
Ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 cube) butter

1 yellow onion, chopped

2 cups of chopped celery

1 can chicken broth

1 cup milk

1/2 chub 
Jimmy Dean Sage sausage
1/2 chub 
Jimmy Dean Maple sausage
2 cans of sliced water chestnuts

2 cans of sliced mushrooms 

1-2 cups of Craisins or any brand of dried cranberries
1 box of 
Mrs. Cubbison's brand herb flavored stuffing (here's a photo of the box so you what you are looking for)

*I have heard roasted walnuts and apple chunks are also good additions to the dressing but I haven't tried that yet.

Instructions:



  • Saute celery and onion in butter in a big pot
  • Stir milk and broth into to the pot of sauteed vegetables and cook on low/med heat on the stove until the mixture is warm
  • Brown sausage
  • Mix sausage, dry stuffing, mushrooms, water chestnuts and cranberries in a big bowl
  • Pour warmed liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until the dressing is moistened and all ingredients are mixed
  • Pour dressing into a baking dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
  • Thank me later ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment